ACUPUNCTURIST JOBS AT SEA
An Acupuncturist administers the highest quality Acupuncture and Chinese medicine treatments to onboard guests. The ideal candidate must possess a thorough knowledge of Chinese Medicine modalities (acupuncture, herbs, nutrition, etc.), as well as be able to communicate those concepts to guests.
In addition, the candidate must also possess a general understanding of all body treatments. Excellent communication skills are required, and the candidate must be able to learn the product and service knowledge necessary to effectively provide wellness solutions to meet the needs of guests.
Candidates must hold a nationally recognised certificate or qualification in traditional Chinese medicine and a minimum of 2,000 hours. Applicants must also have the ability to manage multiple treatment rooms simultaneously. Fluency in English is required; other languages are a benefit.
Please fill out the following short form and submit it for consideration.
Working In Acupuncture at Sea
As a qualified and experienced Acupuncturist, you could work in luxury spas on Cruise ships providing acupuncture and other Chinese medicine treatments to guests.
Working with an onboard spa is a fantastic opportunity to hone your acupuncture, public speaking, and marketing skills while seeing the world! Working within an onboard spa is a fantastic way to learn about the seas of the world while honing in on your acupuncture, public speaking, and marketing talents. All while earning money!
Preparing with The London Wellness Academy
After successfully applying to work with us, you will be invited to attend a 3-5 day training session in Los Angeles. This training is to help you acclimate to working in a cruise ship spa and the differences between working at sea vs on land.
The fundamentals you will learn in this 3-5 training through London Wellness Academy will not only enable you to excel as an acupuncturist on board but also enable you to thrive and grow your own acupuncture practice on land.
Practitioners are trained in PowerPoint presentations and other useful marketing techniques. Also provided is basic training on our signature protocols, including facial rejuvenation, seasickness, pain management, weight loss, stopping smoking, and stress relief.
Learning how to communicate the principles of Chinese medicine is the key to our success. Only through education and experience can the world begin to grasp the beauty of this powerful medicine. Help us expand the reach of Traditional Chinese medicine by bringing it to the cruising population.
Essential Qualifications and Experience Required
A Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Acupuncture and/or Chinese Medicine
- This varies from country to country, but the applicant must have graduated from a recognized university with a combined total of at least 2000 classroom and clinic hours.
- Any additional courses/certifications such as: Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Acupuncture Facial Rejuvenation, Tui Na, Chinese Herbs, Electro-Acupuncture, and Cranio-Sacral are a plus but not mandatory
Other Professional Organisations
Additionally, our training has been granted CEU/PDA status by the NCCAOM( National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine( US). Practitioners who choose to do so can get 21 CEU’s toward certification and license renewal.
The London Wellness Academy will help you to transfer your experience and upgrade your client skills so you launch a successful acupuncture practice working with our high-end clients in the luxury cruise ship industry. This is your opportunity to launch and maintain your own Acupuncture practice working on the ships of some of the biggest brands in the cruise ship industry. As you would imagine, our graduates travel the world working in multiple locations. We not only offer job placements to all our graduates but work hard to prepare you for an effective and profitable career at sea.
A Holistic Approach
The acupuncturist is responsible for providing acupuncture treatments to passengers and crew in order to relieve pain, tension headaches, stress, anxiety, and other ailments. There are a variety of onboard acupuncture and related services you might provide, including:
– Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
– Auricular (ear) acupuncture
– Facial rejuvenation acupuncture
– Cosmetic acupuncture
– Herbal consultations
Working on a cruise ship will typically work with a team of other health professionals, including Massage Therapists, Beauty Therapists, Hairdressers, Nail Technicians, Medi-Spa and Fitness Professionals. In addition to providing treatments, you will also be responsible for keeping accurate treatment records, ordering supplies, and maintaining a clean and safe treatment environment.
Acupuncturists working on cruise ships must have a strong understanding of TCM principles and be able to effectively communicate with passengers from all over the world. They must also be able to work long hours, as they may be required to provide treatments during evenings and weekends.
A Typical Day Working Onboard As A Cruise Ship Acupuncturist
A typical day working on a cruise ship can vary depending on the size of the ship and the number of treatments being offered. However, most will start their day by checking their treatment schedule and ordering any necessary supplies. They will then set up their treatment room and wait for their first patient.
Acupuncturists will typically see patients back-to-back throughout the day, with each treatment lasting 30-60 minutes. As you would expect you must comply fully with the high levels of care required and expected by luxury clients. In between treatments, acupuncturists will clean their treatment room and prepare for their next patient.
Many acupuncturists are also licensed in massage therapy or have other certifications in alternative medicine modalities. As well as practising Acupuncture, you may also use other modalities and complementary procedures such as cupping, moxibustion, and gua sha. You may also provide nutritional counselling and recommendations for lifestyle changes.
At the end of each day, you will close up your treatment rooms and order any necessary supplies for the next day.
In Acupuncture, the salary for working on a cruise ship can vary depending on the size of the ship, the cruise line, and the acupuncturist’s experience.
Acupuncturists carrying out their duties on luxury cruise ships can expect to earn a higher salary than those working on smaller vessels. In addition to their base salary, acupuncturists may also receive tips from passengers.
Acupuncture Job Vacancies Outlook
The job outlook for acupuncturists is good, as there is a growing demand for alternative medicine treatments. However, competition for jobs is strong, and for many companies recruiting for staff, there are more applicants than there are available positions. This is where training at The London Wellness Academy can help to give your application the edge you need to succeed. We have been training and placing successful Acupuncture professionals into the cruise ship industry for over 30 years. Graduates from our Acupuncture programme are highly sought after by recruiters in the Crusie Ship industry. Launch your successful practice afloat and apply to join one of our programmes today.
London Wellness Academy provides all the training for you to become a successful acupuncturist at sea prior to joining your ship. The training takes place in Los Angeles, California (USA) under the direction of Stephanie Kimber, Manager of the Oriental Medicine Programme, OneSpaWorld, and a licensed acupuncturist in California.
During training and once on board, you will be expected to have excellent communication skills and be able to provide acupuncture treatments safely and effectively to address the concerns of your patients. This is an exciting opportunity to meet new people every day and to learn new cultures, all whilst managing your very own acupuncture practice at sea.
To be considered for an acupuncturist position on board a cruise ship, candidates must meet all of the following requirements:
- Acupuncturists must hold a nationally recognized Certificate or License in Traditional Chinese Medicine by State or County’s legislation
- A minimum of 2,000 hours
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to successfully provide acupuncture treatments
- Ability to manage multiple treatment rooms simultaneously
- Ability to conduct an initial consultation and treatment in under 20minutes
- Ability to conduct 10-minute consultations about acupuncture and Chinese herbs
- Ability to publicly speak on Traditional Chinese Medicine topics
- Enjoy working with people and possess a friendly and outgoing personality
- Comfortable working in a sales-oriented job (sales training will be provided)
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Must be a team player
- Basic computer knowledge
- Fluency in English required
Pre-requisites for Contracts
- US citizens must have a valid passport (within 6 months of expiry from contract end date)
- If you are not authorized to work in the US, you must be eligible for issue of a United States C1/D Visa (non-immigrant transit visa)
- Completion of Maritime medical exam and be declared fit to work
- Successful completion of training course
Summary of Responsibilities
- Meeting new people daily
- Conducting patient consultations whereby you effectively inform and educate your clients about specific concerns
- Having strong, friendly follow-up necessary post-treatment with clients to ensure desired results
- Managing clients in unsupervised situations
- Developing friendly relations with the spa team and your clients
- Understanding the problems and concerns of your clients
- Recommending acupuncture treatments and providing outstanding guest service
- Presenting yourself professionally in front of new groups of people
- Being a patient, sympathetic listener
- Assuring compliance with standards and regulations, including company policies and protocols
- Being responsible for the quality of work
- Maintaining complete and accurate medical records
- Maintaining inventory and keeping waste to a minimum
- Being on time for work, prompt for each appointment
A detailed job description is available upon request.
TOP 10 REASONS TO WORK ON BOARD A CRUISE SHIP
There are many reasons to work on board, but here are the reasons most often cited by acupuncturists who work for OneSpaWorld.
- The ability to practice acupuncture without investing in the overhead normally associated with starting a practice.
- You get a jumpstart on your student loans. With no overhead on board, you will be better positioned to get ahead on your student loans. You have virtually no living expenses – food and boarding are all factored in.
- Cruise line guests come from all over the world, and many have not been exposed to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) which affords onboard acupuncturists an opportunity to educate the public about TCM and how it can improve their quality of life.
- As guests are on vacation, they have the time to explore new treatments and ideas. This means that, acupuncturists working on board a cruise ship can be extremely busy. Results are often seen immediately as the guests are more relaxed whilst on vacation, so healing is greatly improved in this environment.
- Even though acupuncturists are part of a much larger spa team, running your column on board is very much like running your own business. You will give talks, seminars and can introduce as many guests to acupuncture as possible on any given day.
- The working environment on board luxury cruise ships is extremely clean and professional making it much easier for you to gain the confidence of guests.
- Less downtime: As you live and work on board the cruise ship you do not have to factor in travel time to and from work. No cleaning, no grocery shopping, no everyday mundane activities.
- An obvious huge perk is travel. Depending on your itinerary, you could explore the islands of the Caribbean, the Alaskan glaciers, or even the Mediterranean.
- Meet and mix with the diverse cultures as embodied by the crew and the guests. Make friends from all over the world.
- Save money. You are in unique position where you could actually save every penny you make as your fundamental needs are taken care of on board.